Barrier Management Symposium™
Produced by The Joint Commission, ASHE, UL & FCIA
Hosted by ASHE Regions & Chapters - APPA Chapters, ICC Chapters
The Barrier Management Symposium™ (BMS)
The Barrier Management Symposium™ brings critical education to Healthcare, Education and all facility management personnel. Interested in attending? Looking for a presentation from a past program?
Some of The Joint Commission's TOP Survey Violations are Penetrations and Door issues in Fire and Smoke Barriers. Fire and Smoke Barriers in buildings are there to protect healthcare building occupants, staff and first responders. They are used for horizontal evacuation behind fire or smoke resistant barriers, and in order to work properly as designed and intended, these fire and smoke barriers need to be continuous.
The Barrier Management Symposium™ is designed to increase the awareness about how these Barriers - including Firestopping, Fire Dampers, Fire-rated Glazing and Fire Doors - are Designed, Installed, Inspected and Managed - the 'DIIM' of Firestopping™ - for long-term fire and life safety. This enables Facility Management staff to utilize this newfound knowledge to make changes which reduce these Survey violations. Video presentations and an explanation of how each design element is tested to assess compliance with standard and code requirements, in addition to the technologies, are all included in this Symposium.
Join ASHE Healthcare Facility Engineer Member Professionals and their staff, as well as ICC Governmental Members at a comprehensive one or two-day Barrier Management Symposium™. To learn more, check out a DRAFT AGENDA.
Current Symposium Information
Barrier Management Symposium Faculty, 2017
Information From this Symposium will Allow you to:
Focus - The BMS™ instructs about how Fire-Resistance Rated Construction become SYSTEMS that have protected buildings for centuries.
Manage– Learn about the product and system selection process, how to evaluate SYSTEMS, Installation, Inspection and Maintenance of Fire and Smoke Barrier components as a complete system. Proper Systems Selection & Design, Installation, Inspection and Maintenance (DIIM) builds reliable Effective Compartmentation.
Improve – Learn how to improve the built environment for healthcare facilities through Effective Compartmentation.
Increase - Gain new and additional knowledge for your use about how to purchase, evaluate and manage all Effective Compartmentation technologies.
Who Should Attend? Do I Need to be an ASHE or ICC Member?
Attendees need not be ASHE or ICC Members, but they must be a Healthcare Facility Director, Healthcare Facility Engineer/Staff or ICC Governmental Member. We encourage you to find out more about ASHE Membership and ICC Membership.
What is the Cost?
Each BMS Symposium cost may vary.
Past Symposium Information & PRESENTATION ARCHIVE
2018 Barrier Management Symposiums™
- August 15, 2018 @ MOSHE, SICHE
- Symposium Intro
- MOSHE, Bill McHugh, FCIA
- Barriers - Lennon Peake, Koffel Assoc.
- Testing of Fire-Resistance and Smoke Resistant Assemblies - Rich Walke, UL
- Gypsum Wallboard Fire-Resistance - Nestor Sanchez, Kyle Flondor, USG
- Fire, Smoke and Combination Dampers - Marc Sorge, Greenheck
- Swinging Fire Doors - Laura Frye, Door Security and Safety Foundation of DHI
- Firestop Systems - Bill McHugh, FCIA
- Barrier Management - Bill McHugh, FCIA
2017 Barrier Management Symposiums™
- August 2, 2017 @ MOSHE SICHE
- July 27, 2017 @ ASHE Central Arizona Chapter & Region 9
Holiday Inn - Phoenix Airport North
- TJC Perspective 'Systems' - John Maurer, The Joint Commission
- Design - Barriers: Location, Design, Manage - Lennon Peake, P.E., Koffel Associates, Inc.
- Testing of Fire-Resistance and Smoke-Resistant Assemblies - Rich Walke, UL
- Wallboard Fire-Resistance - Nestor Sanchez, USG
- Fire-Rated Glazing Protective - Resistive - Bill McHugh, FCIA; Rich Walke, UL
- Fire, Smoke and Combination Fire Smoke Dampers - Marc Sorge, Greenheck
- Firestopping Firestop Systems - Bill McHugh, FCIA
- Inspecting Swinging Fire Doors with Builders Hardware - Laura Frye, ASH, CSI, CCS, FDAI, Door Security & Safety Foundation
- Barrier Management Systems Documentation - John Maurer, TJC; Bill McHugh, FCIA
2016 Barrier Management Symposiums™
- November 30, 2016 @ APPA for Educational and Healthcare Occupancy Facility Managers and Personnel
University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- January 29, 2016 @ ASHE Arkansas Society for Healthcare Engineering
CHI St. Vincent Infirmary Main Auditorium, Little Rock, AR
2015 Barrier Management Symposiums™
- November 16-17, 2015 @ ASHE Region 3
Wellmont Bristol Regional Medical Center
- July 27-28, 2015 @ ASHE Region 5, sponsored by ISHE
The Ruth Lilly Learning Center, Indianapolis, IN
- April 13-15, 2015 @ ASHE Region 6
Kahler Hotel, Rochester, MN
2014 Barrier Management Symposiums™
- September 17-18, 2014 @ ASHE Region 9, Sponsored by CSHE
- May 12-13 , 2014 @ ASHE Region 2
- March 3-4 , 2014 @ ASHE Region 4
- Bill McHugh, FCIA Executive Director
4415 W. Harrison St., Suite 436 ~ Hillside, IL 60162
p: 708-202-1108 ~ email: email@example.com
- Jonathan Flannery, ASHE Senior Associate Director of Advocacy
155 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 400 ~ Chicago, IL 60606
p: 312-422-3825 ~ email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lindsey Donley , FCIA Associate Director
4415 W. Harrison St., Suite 436 ~ Hillside, IL 60162
p: 708-202-1108 ~ email: email@example.com