FCIA E-Newsletter April 11, 2013
FCIA Platinum Members
FCIA Education & Committee Action Conference, Register Today!
Join FCIA for this annual Education and Committee Action Conference, April 30-May 3. FCIA members and guests will be at The Brown Palace Hotel & Spa in beautiful Denver, CO!
Register for the FCIA Education and Committee Action Conference today!
To book your hotel room call Jerry Rahn at (303) 312-8993.
Questions? Email Evie.
- Learn an independent, third-party's insight into reliability statistics for all types of fire protection including fire resistance rated compartmentation - sprinklers, fire alarms and more with Jim Milke, Chair, Fire Protection Engineering Department, Univ. of Maryland.
- FCIA ICC/NFPA Code Development Cycle B - Bill Koffel, of Koffel Associates, will be fresh from the code hearings to discuss Healthcare and other Building Occupancy Categories.
- FCIA Voting Contractor Members Only session - Extended and back by popular demand.
- Round Robin Committee Meetings where you get to hear the latest committee actions.
- Get a sneak preview of the FCIA Apprenticeship Education Modules! FCIA's TEA (Technical, Apprenticeship & Education) Team has been working diligently to create documents, videos and powerpoints for Firestop Containment Worker Education.
- Hear the latest legal updates regarding product usage with Kevin Dale, Esq., Hendrick Phillips. Plus find out how you can tap into Dale's knowledge to become your 'firestop legal guru'.
- Listen to a building official's view of our firestopping industry. Tim Pate served on the ICC Fire Safety Committee this code cycle.
- Fast, Furious and Fun! Back to back education sessions return with the NEW ASTM Movement Standard, "L" Ratings in Smoke Barriers, Partitions!
- Find out about UL, ASTM and ULC Standards and how they relate to field conditions with UL's new Primary Development Engineer, Luke Woods of UL, LLC.
The Brown Palace Hotel & Spa
FCIA DIIM Firestop Educational Symposiums Successful!
The first FCIA DIIM Educational Symposium of the year was a huge success in Ottawa, Canada, March 13 and 14. A special thank you to our FCIA Members in Canada who supported, exhibited and attended this first-time event. FCIA reconnected with several important dignitaries from the Canadian Forces Fire Marshals Office, the National Research Council of Canada, and the Public Works Government Services of Canada. Many attendees also had a behind-the-scenes look at the NRC's laboratories and Fire Testing Furnace for Columns.
Conference attendees get a tour of NRC's laboratories
Next, FCIA returned to the United Arab Emirates, this time in Abu Dhabi. The Yas Hotel was the setting for the second FCIA DIIM Educational Symposium in March, the 24-25th. Many FCIA International Members attended and exhibited, and FCIA was glad to share firestopping education with Departments of Civil Defence and Municipal Affairs, plus several guests from the hospital industry. Thanks to FCIA members in the Middle East for sponsoring the Symposium.
Conference attendees at Abu Dhabi
FCIA rounded out its final FCIA DIIM Educational Symposium of the Spring season on March 27th and 28th, this time in Doha, Qatar at the Oryx Rotana. Close to 100 attendees from Civil Defence, Municipal Affairs, Healthcare and Oil Industries, FCIA Members and guests heard from industry experts. Thanks to FCIA's Members who exhibited and sponsored the two-day Symposium.
A full house at the DIIM Symposium in Doha, Qatar
At each Symposium, FCIA Members wrote the FM or the UL Firestop Exam to either keep current or start the process of becoming FM 4991 Approved or UL Qualified Firestop Contractors.
Most important, FCIA renewed relationships with Members, made new friends in the Healthcare and Oil Industries in the Middle East and brought the DIIM Firestopping Story of
• Proper Design through tested and listed systems specified in CSI / CSC MasterFormat Section 07-84-00
• Installation with FCIA Member, FM 4991 Approved and or UL Qualified Firestop Contractors
• Inspected to ASTM E 2174 and ASTM E 2393 Standards for the Inspection of Installed Firestops
• Maintained and Managed by FCIA Members.
• And, in Doha, the Middle East audience suggested a C to the DIIM...Coordination. Coordination for annular space and joint sizes, placement of penetrating items for access by workers, and much more. DCIIM has a nice sound to it!
Stay tuned in to the FCIA website for conference materials to be posted.
Questions or comments? Email Evie.
FCIA speaks at the Fire Safety Symposium in Mucsat, Oman
On April 2nd and 3rd, the FCIA presented at the Al Bustan Palace at Fleming Gulf’s Fire Safe Oman 2013. Check out the topics presentation at FCIA.org.
Attendees of the 2nd Annual Fire Safe Oman
Adler Firestop Receives Award
Congratulations to Adler Insulation & Firestopping on their recent accomplishments! Their very own Lowell Harder received the Top Apprentice Award from the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board. Additionally, Adler recently was featured in Award Magazine.
Have success stories you would like to share with other members? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us how you are making a difference in the industry!
FCIA Speaks and Exhibits at NFPA in Chicago, IL June 10-13, 2013
Stop by FCIA's Booth #1273 at the National Fire Protection Association's Conference & Expo at McCormick Place Convention Center, Chicago, IL! The Expo exhibit hall is free, but you must register.
Register for the NFPA Conference and Expo to hear from industry experts and earn valuable CEU credits.
Top 10 reasons to attend NFPA Conference & Expo.
Register for the conference today!
Marketing Committee to represent FCIA Members at the 50th ASHE Annual Conference and Trade Show
FCIA has displayed at the American Society of Healthcare Engineers Conferences for the past several years, showing how FCIA Member Specialty Firestop Contractors add value. Dates are July 21-24, 2013 at the Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta, GA. More to come!
FCIA at ASTM, NFPA, ICC, and IAS
FCIA's Standards Committee Leaders Eric Keeton and Randy Bosscawen will be joined by Don Murphy and Bill McHugh at ASTM Meetings in Indianapolis. We hope to resolve negatives on a proposal to increase inspection by 2-3 times for companies that are not FM 4991 Approved or UL Qualified.
We'll attend NFPA's Fire Protection Features Committee meetings to work on quantified values for air leakage in Smoke Barriers for Firestopping ('L' Ratings).
At ICC, we attend the International Accreditation
Services and mix with the ICC Board while attending the Code Hearings and building relationships. FCIA's Code Consultant Bill Koffel continues to represent FCIA Members at the meetings. The Healthcare Industry is working with FCIA to build greater reliability of firestopping and effective compartmentation. We believe the result will be a greater demand for firestopping and effective compartmentation maintenance specialty contractors.
Watch for a full report on Standards and Code issues at
the FCIA Education and Committee Action Conference.
New FCIA Members – Welcome!
FCIA would like to thank all current members for their continued support over the years. As we look ahead to the balance of 2013, it is clear that the organization is moving forward in the right direction! Below are the new members that have been recently added to the FCIA family.
FCIA New Contractor Members
- APS Contracting - Paterson, New Jersey
- CAS Services, LLC - Lovettsville, Virginia
- HB Firestopping Ltd. - Stony Plain, Alberta
- Pyro-Pro Isolation Inc. - Quebec, Quebec
- SDB Inc. - Tempe, Arizona
- Spectrum Contracting Inc. - Windsor, Ontario
- Summit Contracting, LLC - Salt Lake City, Utah
- Triumph Firestop - St. Albert, Alberta
- Western Partitions, Inc. - Tigard, Oregon
FCIA New International Contractor Members
- Fireshield Trading & Contracting Co. W.L.L - Doha, Qatar
- Insulation Dynamics, WLL, Doha, Qatar
- Qatar Construction Technique Company - Doha, Qatar
- Qatar Oilfield Supply Centre W.L.L - Doha, Qatar
FCIA New Associate Members
- Al Hatimi Technical Services - Sharjah, UAE
Friend of FCIA
- City of Burlington - Burlington, ON
FCIA Member Packet Correction -
FCIA Members: Please note updated contact information for Bay Insulation. It was incorrect in the FCIA Membership Packet. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused Bay Insulation, and thank them for being a FCIA member!
Contact: Tom Atsma
4755 W.150th Street
Cleveland, OH 44135
Contact: Tom Atsma
2245 Westbelt Drive
Columbus, OH 43228
Bay Insulation-Green Bay
Contact: Steve Lowenberg
PO Box 9229
Green Bay, WI 54308
Comment on FCIA’s Facebook and LinkedIn!
FCIA's Facebook and LinkedIn postings happen frequently. Don't miss the action. FCIA social media outlets are designed to connect with firestop professionals and facilitate industry news and discussions.
Click through the icons below to find our pages!
Best wishes for a safe, successful Spring construction season.
Bill McHugh, FCIA
Platinum Level Sponsor
FCIA Manufacturer Members
Gold Level Sponsor
FCIA Manufacturer Member
FCIA Silver Level Sponsor
FCIA Manufacturer Members:
Bronze Level Sponsor
FCIA Manufacturer Members
International Carbine Technology Co., LTD.
© Copyright FCIA April 11, 2013. Permission is hereby granted to forward, print, circulate, and quote with credit to FCIA. FCIA is a nonprofit organization of Firestop Contractors, Contractor Branch Offices, Manufacturers and Associate Members interested in furthering life safety through the Professional Specialty Firestop Contractor Concept.
For more information, contact the FCIA Office:
Bill McHugh, Executive Director – 4415 W. Harrison St., #436, Hillside, IL 60162
Phone: 708-202-1108 ~ Fax: 708-449-0837 ~ Email: email@example.com ~ Website: www.fcia.org