FCIA Mission Statement
The FCIA's mission is for member organizations to be recognized throughout the construction industry as preferred quality contractors of life safety firestop systems.
FCIA Member Contractors are committed to providing consistent, high quality firestop systems as a critical part of Effective Compartmentation. Through active participation in the FCIA and related forums, members contribute to the advancement of the firestop and compartmentation industry and maintain exceptional knowledge of this specialized service.
Through this professional commitment to fire and life safety, member contractors bring considerable value to their customers by enhancing public safety and property protection.
FCIA 1999-2013 & Beyond - Vision
FCIA's goals have been and continue to be focused on buidling reliability of Firestop Systems through the DIIM of Firestopping. Proper Design, Installation, Inspection, Maintenance and Management of Firestop Systems means reliability. Here's the details:
- D - Design - Better firestop testing to Standards that reflects conditions reasonably forseeable to occur in the field. Help designers with a detailed 07-84-00 Specification.
- Build an 'Industry Body of Firestop Knowledge', which became the FCIA Firestop Manual of Practice.
- I - Installation - Better installations for firestop materials that become firestop systems when installed by a contractor that has a culture of 'Zero Tolerance' in their company.
- FM 4991 Standard for the Approval of Firestop Contractors UL / ULC Firestop Contractor Qualification Programs were built for this purpose.
- FCIA Apprenticeship Education Program - This generic step by step program, will be avaialbe for purchase by contractor and non member organizations in several forms.
- I - Independent Inspection - 3rd Party Independent Inspection of Installed Firestop Systems
- Inspection Agencies need to understand the 'Zero Tolerance' firestop systems installation protocol.
- Special Inspection Agencies can be Accredited to International Accreditation Services, IAS Accreditation Criteria AC-291
- M - Maintenance - Existing buildings need to conform to the International Fire Code, 703.1...with an annual inspection or survey of the installed 'compartementation features', including firestopping.
- M - Barrier Management - FCIA members provide fire and smoke barrier management services worldwide to maintain fire resistance rated assembles for both compartmentation and structural reasons.
- Spread the word
- Specifications - All these programs are referenced in Master Specifications worldwide.
- Building and Fire Codes -
- FM 4991 Approved Firestop Contractors & UL/ULC Qualified Firestop Contractor Programs - FCIA has submitted, but not yet been successful, adding the FM 4991 Approved Contractor Program or the UL Qualified Contractor Program to the International and NFPA Codes.
- ASTM E 2174 & ASTM E 2393 have been added to 2012 International Building Code in Chapter 17, Special Inspections for buildings 75' and higher.
- Contractors Available FM 4991 Approved / UL Qualified Contractors - We're up to 100+ contractors, worldwide, and growing. Check out FCIA.org Member Lists.
- FCIA Members in Good Standing - Specified by name in North America and beyond.
- Educational Seminars, Conferences - FCIA continues to have conferences in North America, and has travelled to the United Arab Emirates to spread the word about building the reliability of Firestopping, worldwide. .
FCIA 2013& Beyond
FCIA still has work to do! Adding the FM 4991 Approved Firestop Contractor Program and UL / ULC Qualified Firestop Contractor programs to more standards, specs, codes, convincing purchasers of the value of the Specialty FCIA Member Firestop Contractor concept, making 'Firestopping a Trade' in the construction industry vocabulary, and much more is still to be done.
Visit the many areas on this website to see how involved FCIA's Committees are around the world at working towards making these goals visions from 1999-2013 become reality
We need your help to get this done. If you are not a member, Join FCIA and get involved. If you are a member, stay involved through committee participation and leadership.
Firestop Contractors International Association
4415 W. Harrison St., #436 ~
Hillside, IL 60162
Phone: (708) 202-1108 ~
Fax: (708) 449-0837